Source: New Zealand Transport Agency
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises multiple worksites are active on State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road, between Sala Street and Iles Road, in Rotorua this week, as part of the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
Of note this week is the final roundabout shift at the Tarawera Road intersection planned for overnight on Tuesday 20 April, and the closure of Marino Road at the roundabout from Wednesday 21 April to Sunday 9 May.
Delays are expected at times and motorists are advised to plan for these delays and allow extra time for their journeys.
Work sites for the week starting Sunday 18 April
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge Underpass – The underpass remains closed to the public until late April as the contractors continue work on the wall and underpass path.
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge – Work at the Puarenga Bridge median island is now complete. A slight lane shift for westbound and eastbound traffic remains in place as contractors work to widen the sections of footpath on either side of the Puarenga Bridge to connect with the new shared path.
- State Highway 30, Sala Street to Vaughan Road – Construction of the shared path and upgrading of services continue along the northern side of SH30/Te Ngae Road. Shoulder and/or lane closures may occur as a result of this work.
The shared path on the northern side remains closed for public safety.
- State Highway 30, Vaughan Road – The new slip lane into Vaughan Road is now open, along with the left turn out onto SH30/Te Ngae Road. Contractors continue to work on the shared path and re-instatement of the median island. Motorists are reminded to be aware of workers on either side as they drive through the intersection.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera Roundabout – Due to weather delays, the final roundabout shift is now planned for overnight on Tuesday 20 April, from 7pm until 5am. The new layout will mirror the current layout, shifting towards the Redwood Centre. This will allow contractors to complete the remaining sections of road before the signalised intersection is installed. In case of poor weather, the shift will be completed on the next fine night.
- State Highway 30, Marino Road – Marino Road will be closed at the intersection with SH30/Te Ngae Road from Wednesday 21 April to Sunday 9 May. Access to all businesses on Marino will be from Vaughan Road. The closure will allow contractors to install services and complete kerbing and surfacing.
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills Road to Iles Road – Eastbound traffic has been shifted to the eastbound inside lane, reinstating the flush median for turning traffic. The new eastbound outside lane remains closed while contractors complete the shared path and garden works. Motorists are reminded to adhere to the temporary 50km/h speed limit through this section.
Temporary speed limits of 30km/h or 50km/h are in place at the above work sites, including when workers are off-site.
Pedestrians and cyclists are encouraged to use the signalised crossings at either Sala Street or Iles Road, and the temporary pedestrian crossing at Tarawera Road.
In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, work may be postponed.
Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey this summer. Keep up to date with: