Source: New Zealand Transport Agency
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises multiple worksites are active on State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road, between Sala Street and Iles Road, in Rotorua next week, as part of the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
Delays are expected at times and motorists are advised to plan for these delays and allow extra time for their journeys.
Work sites for the week starting Sunday 21 February
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge Underpass – the underpass below Te Ngae Road at the Puarenga Stream is closed to the public. Alternative access across Te Ngae Road for pedestrians and cyclists is via the new pedestrian crossing at the Sala Street intersection.
The underpass is being improved, with better access and amenity for pedestrians and cyclists. The work is expected to be complete by early April.
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge – intermittent lane closures will continue for eastbound traffic during off-peak periods to allow contractors to remove the existing median island on the Puarenga Bridge and reinstate sections of kerb around Sala St area. A narrower median island will be constructed on the bridge in its place. Traffic delays are expected while this work takes place.
- State Highway 30, Sala Street to Hamiora Place – shoulder and/or lane closures will be in place throughout the week as construction of the three-metre-wide shared path continues on the northern side of Te Ngae Road.
Contractors continue working in the flush median outside the new St John Ambulance Station, constructing a signalised area that will allow ambulances to turn right towards the CBD in an emergency.
- State Highway 30, Vaughan Road – contractors will be working at the edge of the road/footpath and on the median at the intersection of Te Ngae Road and Vaughan Road. A 3km/h temporary speed limit will be in place at the intersection, and vehicles entering Vaughan Road will have reduced lane width.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera Roundabout – the new, smaller temporary roundabout was installed last week. Motorists are asked to take extra care when travelling through the intersection and abide by the temporary speed limits in place. Contractors are working outside the Good Eastern on both Te Ngae Road and Tarawera Road, completing stormwater improvements and constructing the new road layers.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera Roundabout – contractors will be trialling a lane closure for eastbound and westbound traffic on SH30/Te Ngae Road at the Tarawera roundabout on Monday 22 February. One lane in each direction will be closed between 9am-1pm and 2pm-3pm to test the effects of the closure on traffic. Road users should expect delays of up to 10 minutes while the trial is in place.
If the trial closures are successful on Monday, the lane closures will be in place again on Tuesday 23 February between 9am-3pm to allow for the installation of a stormwater pipe outside the Redwoods Shopping Centre.
- State Highway 30, Neil Hunt Park – contractors are working on the retaining wall areas outside Neil Hunt Park. Please take care when utilising this area.
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills to Iles Road – eastbound traffic between Allen Mills and Iles Road continue to use the flush median while contractors complete road and footpath construction along this stretch of road. This work is scheduled to be completed by mid to late March.
Temporary speed limits of 30km/h or 50km/h will be in place at the above work sites while contractors are on site. Outside of work hours the road will operate as normal.
Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to walk or cycle around all worksites. Where required, staff can assist pedestrians past the site safely.
In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, work may be postponed. Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey this summer. Keep up to date with: