Source: New Zealand Transport Agency
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises multiple worksites are active on State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road, between Sala Street and Iles Road, in Rotorua next week. This work is part of the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
Delays are expected as a result of these works and may be significant at times – particularly westbound at Tarawera Road and eastbound at Sala Street.
Waka Kotahi reminds motorists to plan for delays, allow extra time for their journeys and take extra care when travelling through work sites to ensure the safety of themselves, other road users and road workers.
- State Highway 30, Sala Street – the Te Ngae Road slip lane into Sala Street is now open for use, ahead of schedule. A big effort was made to re-open this as soon as possible given the effect on westbound traffic. The new Sala Street slip lane has been sealed and is also open.
Both slip lanes will be temporarily closed at times to allow minor completion works to take place, however these closures will be outside of peak hours. Heavy vehicles are to use the approved detour route via Te Ngae Road and Fenton Street during the closures.
Traffic turning east from Sala Street continues to be down to one lane at the intersection.
At times contractors will be working in the central median island areas either end of the intersection. Traffic lanes may be re-aligned to allow working space; please pay attention to signage and cones advising of any changes to the road layout.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera roundabout – A temporary roundabout layout is in place. Contractors will be working in the areas around the roundabout. A 30km/h temporary speed limit is in place.
- State Highway 30, Repco – a shoulder closure remains in place outside Repco while the slip lane road construction is undertaken.
- State Highway 30, Neil Hunt Park – a shoulder and footpath closure remain in place on SH30 outside Neil Hunt Park, Monday to Friday, between 7.30am and 5pm while retaining wall works and shared path construction are completed. This will be in place until Christmas, with users diverted through Neil Hunt Park.
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills to Iles Road – a footpath closure is in place on SH30, between Allen Mills Road and Iles Road, at all times. A road diversion is in place outside Toyota and Cummins. Contractors are completing road construction along this stretch of road.
A temporary speed limit of 30km/h will be in place at the above work sites while contractors are on site – excluding the shoulder closures outside Repco and Neil Hunt Park. Outside of work hours the road will operate as normal.
Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to walk or cycle around all worksites. Where required, staff can assist pedestrians past the site safely.
In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, work may be postponed. Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey this summer. Keep up to date with: