Source: New Zealand Transport Agency
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency is urging motorists travelling across the Remutaka Hill to take extra care and drive to the conditions.
Regional Transport Systems Manager Mark Owen says the Metservice is warning that rain from this afternoon to early tomorrow morning may turn to snow or sleet at times near the top of the hill.
“Motorists should be prepared for icy conditions and snow. The forecast is also showing high winds, so high-sided vehicles and motorcyclists in particular should take extra care and watch out for debris.
“Everyone should plan ahead, allow extra time for their journeys, and drive to the road and weather conditions. It’s important in these conditions to maintain a greater following distance and slow down. We want everyone to get home safely.
“Keep an eye on traffic updates and ensure your vehicle is safe and equipped for winter journeys – check that you have a spare tyre, and that your lights, brakes and wind-wipers are all working, and clean your windscreen inside and out.”
Winter driving tips:
- Check travel and weather conditions before heading off and on breaks throughout your journey – use www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz(external link) or call 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49).
- Allow extra time.
- Ensure your vehicle is safe for winter driving.
- Drive to the road and weather conditions.
- Slow down and be prepared for unexpected hazards.
- Allow greater following distance between you and the vehicle ahead.
- Make sure your mobile phone is well charged, check your car charger also.
- Have blankets, snacks, and bottles of water ready in case of emergency or a breakdown.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey. Keep up to date with: