Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

Source: Auckland Council

Auckland Council says its contractors are not to blame for the birds found poisoned in the Waitākere Ranges Regional Park over the weekend.

The birds, including a myna, pukeko and sparrow were found by locals in an unwell and distressed condition. Some of the birds had sadly died.

Upon discovery of the birds, contact details of the council contractor who carries out possum control in the area were posted publicly on a community Facebook group.

Subsequently, the contractor began receiving threatening phone calls and messages.

Greg Presland, Waitākere Ranges Local Board Chair, says the poisoning is absolutely horrific but is no excuse for the threatening and abusive messages.

“Feracon’s staff member who carries out possum control in the area is not to blame,” he says. “Third-party investigations have already established that the birds did not ingest possum bait.

“Threats against our staff and contractors will not be tolerated and need to stop immediately. I understand emotions are high, but this act of cruelty is nothing to do with Feracon who work hard to protect birdlife in the Waitakere Ranges through possum control.”

Investigations show the birds are likely to have been poisoned with Alphachloralose, which sends the affected animal into a state of hypothermia.  Alphachloralose can be purchased by the general public and is not used by Feracon to carry out possum control.

Green Bay Vets and the Bird Rescue organisation who have been managing the birds’ health since being found, agree with these findings.

Due to the serious nature of some posts made on the Cornwallis, Huia and Parau Community Facebook Page, the police have now been contacted.

Council is asking anyone with details or information relating to the poisoning of these birds to please call 09 3010101.

MIL OSI