NZ Warriors facing early halves crisis through heavy NRL pre-season injury toll

0
1

Source: Radio New Zealand

Shaun Johnson and coach Andrew Webster at Warriors training. Andrew Cornaga/Photosport

NRL pre-season: Warriors v Dolphins

Kickoff: 8pm Friday, 20 February

Leichhardt Oval, Sydney

Live blog updates on RNZ

An old, familiar face made a rare appearance at NZ Warriors training this week, as coach Andrew Webster faced early test of depth among his halves to start the coming NRL season.

Club legend Shaun Johnson, who retired to a media career last year, was throwing his weight around without actually putting his TV face at risk with any contact drills.

“We sent an SOS out, but I think he brushed us,” Webster quipped. “He just wanted to come and watch – I didn’t see him tackling those boys on the pads today.

“It was good to have an old boy around – he would say not so old. He’s obviously a big part of our path and done so much for our club.

“Any time he wants to come, he’s welcome.”

Webster could use some Johnson magic right about now, with an injury crisis among his inside backs just two weeks out from round one against Sydney Roosters.

As it stands, Luke Hanson may be winning a battle of attrition for his first-grade debut, as he lines up alongside Tanah Boyd – a combination that guided the Warriors reserves to glory last year – for their second pre-season trial against the Dolphins on Friday.

Last year’s incumbents – Luke Metcalf and Chanel Harris-Tavita – are both nursing niggles that could impact their availability during the opening weeks of the schedule.

Metcalf is still rehabbing from knee surgery that ended his 2025 campaign midway through and will likely miss a couple of months of the coming season. Harris-Tavita – along with second-rower Marata Niukore – has picked up a calf complaint that has kept him out of the pre-season.

Luke Hanson in action for the Warriors against Manly Sea Eagles. Kerry Marshall/Photosport

“They’re minor, but they haven’t progressed as quickly as we’d like,” Webster explained. “I’m assured they’ll be up for selection for round one, but that could change.

“They will have to tick every box from here, but they’re only light injuries.

“The reason we haven’t announced them as injuries is, at a push, they could have played, but there’s no point in risking it.”

Meanwhile, the Warriors have suffered a major blow, losing utility Te Maire Martin for 12-14 weeks with a broken leg suffered during his stint with the Māori All Stars on Sunday. While he was used as a Swiss Army Knife off the bench last year, Martin is primarily a half and would have been third or fourth on the pecking order.

“He’ll get operated on tomorrow,” Webster said. “Really frustrating.

“As we’ve learnt with fractures, they’re really slow early and we’re not going to know when he’s back until we start seeing big chunks of improvement.”

Up-and-comer Jett Cleary – son of former Warriors coach Ivan and brother of Penrith Panthers star Nathan – was another bolter, but has had to deal with his own health challenges during the off-season.

“Jett’s just completed his first full session with the squad,” Webster said. “He had osteitis pubis [inflammation of the pubic joint] over the break and a long recovery.

“He did warm-ups the last couple of weeks, 80 percent of the session today and he’ll start progressing over the next two weeks to get ready for round one. He’s not available for selection this week.”

The other bolter is former Newcastle Knights junior Jye Linnane, who is also returning from anterior cruciate ligament knee surgery last year.

Jett Cleary at Warriors training. Andrew Cornaga/Photosport

Boyd stepped into Metcalf’s vacant spot for the latter stages of 2025 and, with 76 first-grade games to his name, will probably start the season in the No.7 jersey.

Hanson was signed from the Penrith system two years ago and has played 35 games for the Warriors reserves, playing a key part in their NSW Cup and NRL State Championship triumphs last season.

The ‘other’ Luke seemingly has his nose ahead of the pack right now.

“He’s going to play big minutes this week,” Webster said. “We’ve got options and people will stand up.

“We’ve got faith in those guys and Luke Hanson has had a great pre-season. He just keeps doing his job each day and putting himself one step closer.”

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

Previous articleIndependent investigation needed into historical allegations of abuse at St Bede’s College – Chief Victims Advisor
Next articleIronic that government has ‘run out of time’ to pursue longer Parliamentary term – law expert