Source: New Zealand Transport Agency
Full southbound lane closures are coming for State Highway 1 and State Highway 59 as the next steps are taken to improve how the highways are monitored and managed between Tawa and Porirua.
Contractors will install new speed management and traffic monitoring equipment and a new overhead gantry. It will hold new electronic signs that provide road users with real-time highway information.
The new infrastructure will help update drivers about what’s happening on their route. This will include crashes, congestion, and planned roadworks.
Because the new gantry is a large piece of infrastructure, a full southbound lane closure is needed, it means State Highway 59 (between Mungavin Ave Interchange and Tawa) and State Highway 1 (between the Kenepuru Interchange and Tawa) will be closed on Monday, 13 November and Tuesday, 14 November, from 9 pm to 5.30 am.
Waka Kotahi appreciates a full highway closure is a big deal and does create disruption. However, every effort is being made to minimise the impact of this work as much as possible.Contractors will work at night when traffic volumes are much lighter. A full closure also allows the work to be completed much faster and is safer for contractors and road users.
Road users are encouraged to plan for the closure, as the detour will mean longer travel times.
- Monday 13 November and Tuesday 14 November, 9pm to 5:30am
- Southbound closure of State Highway 59 (between Mungavin Ave Interchange and Tawa) and State Highway 1 (between the Kenepuru Interchange and Tawa)
- These closures only affect southbound traffic.
- If postponed due to weather, work will happen on the next night.
- SH59 southbound road users detour via SH59 at Mungavin offramp onto Titahi Bay Road, Kenepuru Drive, Main Road Tawa and Takapu Road back onto SH1 at Tawa Interchange
- SH1 Transmission Gully Road users detour via SH1 Kenepuru offramp, onto Kenepuru Drive, Main Road Tawa and Takapu Road back onto SH1 at Tawa Interchange.