Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

Source: Auckland Council

With the playground due to be replaced at Hobsonville War Memorial Park, Upper Harbour Local Board is keen to take their cue from the community on new play equipment.

Upper Harbour Local Board Chair Lisa Whyte says the playground’s central location makes it ideally situated for children of all ages to play there.

“We want to get feedback early on from our community and young people who will use the playground. We think it is suitable for toddlers through to teenagers and wherever possible, we want to include the activities and play equipment they enjoy.”

The consultation period planned for last month was delayed due to COVID-19 restrictions which closed playgrounds and stopped community events.

Local board Chair Lisa Whyte says despite this setback, the board wants to get the project underway. While the community open day can’t go ahead at current alert levels, she hopes the community will support the online Zoom event instead.

Over 20 years old, the existing play module has deteriorated and must be replaced. After the play module is removed, the playground’s footprint largely stays the same with new play equipment fitted into the existing space.

“We know the wish list may be long, so we’re looking for feedback on activities that children want here, before we look at what fits the space and of course, the budget.”

The design feedback will be presented to the local board early next year with detailed design and procurement completed late 2022. Construction is expected to take place in 2023.

Public feedback is open from 18 October to 8 November.

Ways to have your say:

  • Give feedback to Upper Harbour Local Board members and Auckland Council staff at our online event via Zoom on Tuesday, 26 October between 4.30pm-5.30pm. Register online via akhaveyoursay.nz
  • Have your say online at akhaveyousay.nz from 18 October.

MIL OSI