Source: New Zealand Transport Agency
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises multiple worksites are active on State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road, between Sala Street and Iles Road, in Rotorua this week, as part of the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
Of note this week is the scheduled closure of Marino Road intersection at the Tarawera roundabout from Tuesday, 27 April for four weeks, weather dependant.
Delays are expected at times and motorists are advised to plan for these delays and allow extra time for their journeys.
Work sites for the week starting Sunday 25 April
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge Underpass – The underpass remains closed to the public until early May due to delays. The contractors continue work on the wall and underpass path.
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge – Work at the Puarenga Bridge median island is now complete. Contractors are this week attaching the bridge median to the road median at either end. A slight lane shift for westbound and eastbound traffic remains in place as contractors work to widen the sections of footpath on either side of the Puarenga Bridge to connect with the new shared path. Lane closures may be in place during off peak times.
- State Highway 30, east of Puarenga Bridge – Contractors are working in the median east of the Puarenga Bridge to open the median for an ambulance turning bay outside the new St John’s Ambulance depot. Concrete is being poured this week and lane closures may be in place during off peak times.
- State Highway 30, Sala Street to Vaughan Road – Construction of the shared path and upgrading of services continue along the northern side of SH30/Te Ngae Road. Shoulder and/or lane closures may occur as a result of this work.
The shared path on the northern side remains closed for public safety.
- State Highway 30, Vaughan Road – Contractors continue to work on the shared path and re-instatement of the median island at the intersection with SH30/Te Ngae Road. Motorists are reminded to be aware of workers on either side as they drive through the intersection.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera Roundabout – The final temporary roundabout is now in place near the Redwood Centre. This will allow contractors to complete work on the remaining sections of road before the signalised intersection is installed.
- State Highway 30, Marino Road – Marino Road will be closed at the intersection with SH30/Te Ngae Road from Tuesday 27 April for approximately four weeks, weather dependant. Access to all businesses on Marino Road will be available via Vaughan Road. The closure will allow contractors to install services and complete kerbing and surfacing.
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills Road to Iles Road – Eastbound traffic has been shifted to the eastbound inside lane, reinstating the flush median for turning traffic. The new eastbound outside lane remains closed while contractors complete the shared path and garden works.
Temporary speed limits of 30km/h or 50km/h are in place at the above work sites, including when workers are off-site.
Pedestrians and cyclists are encouraged to use the signalised crossings at either Sala Street or Iles Road, and the temporary pedestrian crossing at Tarawera Road.
In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, work may be postponed.
Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey this summer. Keep up to date with: