Source: New Zealand Transport Agency
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises multiple worksites are active on State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road, between Sala Street and Iles Road, in Rotorua this week, as part of the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
Delays are expected at times and motorists are advised to plan for these delays and allow extra time for their journeys.
Work sites for the week starting Sunday 11 April
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge Underpass – The underpass remains closed to the public until late April as the contractors continue work on the wall and underpass path. Alternative access across SH30/Te Ngae Road for pedestrians and cyclists is via the signalised pedestrian crossings at the Sala Street intersection.
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge – Work at the Puarenga Bridge continues as construction of the new, narrower median island nears completion. A slight lane shift for westbound and eastbound traffic remains in place. Off-peak lane closures may be required for off-loading materials or pouring concrete.
- State Highway 30, Sala Street to Vaughan Road – Construction of the shared path and upgrading of services continue along the northern side of SH30/Te Ngae Road. Shoulder and/or lane closures may occur as a result of this work.
The shared path on the northern side remains closed for public safety, as some sites on this part of the corridor remain open while contractors wait for services to be upgraded.
Pedestrians and cyclists are advised to use the signalised crossings at either Iles Road or Sala Street and to use the shared path on the southern side, crossing Tarawera Road at the temporary pedestrian crossing.
- State Highway 30, Vaughan Road – The new slip lane into Vaughan Road is now open, along with the left turn out onto SH30/Te Ngae Road. The team continue to work on the shared path and re-instatement of the median island. Motorists are reminded to be aware of workers on either side as they drive through the intersection.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera Roundabout – Surfacing outside The Good Eastern Taphouse is scheduled for Sunday 11 April, weather dependent. This will enable the final roundabout shift to be carried out overnight on Thursday 15 April, with the new layout effectively mirroring the current layout. Contractors will then be able to complete the remaining sections of road before the signalised intersection is installed.
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills to Iles Road – Surfacing of the remaining section of four-laning outside Wash World/Gull is expected to be completed this week. Once this is done and road marking is completed, the new four-lane road will be opened to traffic.
Temporary speed limits of 30km/h or 50km/h are in place at the above work sites, including when workers are off-site.
Pedestrians and cyclists are encouraged to use the signalised crossings at either Sala Street or Iles Road, and the temporary pedestrian crossing at Tarawera Road.
In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, work may be postponed.
Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey this summer. Keep up to date with: