Source: New Zealand Transport Agency
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises the State Highway 30 Puarenga Bridge underpass in Rotorua will be closed for improvements from next week.
Improvements are being made to the SH30 Puarenga Bridge and underpass, which is part of Rotorua’s Te Ara Ahi Cycle Trail, as part of the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
Work is scheduled to start on Monday 15 February 2021 and is expected to take six to seven weeks to complete, weather dependant.
Waka Kotahi Regional Manager Infrastructure Delivery Jo Wilton says the improvements will make the underpass safer, more inviting, and easier to use – reflecting its role as an important and well-used link in the city’s cycleway network.
“The alternative safe crossing for pedestrians and cyclists while the underpass is closed for improvements is via the new signalised crossing at the recently upgraded SH30 Sala Street intersection.”
Signage will be in place at the bridge to alert users to the alternative route, says Ms Wilton.
Improvements to the bridge and underpass include:
- Constructing a new road barrier between the traffic lanes and the cyclist/pedestrian path on both sides of the bridge
- Constructing a widened path and new balustrade on the edge of the bridge on both sides
- Widening and levelling the existing pathway under the bridge
- Constructing a new handrail on the northern side of the underpass
- Installing a new lighting supply to the underpass.
The Eastern Corridor Stage One project is under construction on State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road between Sala Street and Iles Road. For more information visit the Eastern Corridor project page.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey this summer. Keep up to date with: