The Covid-19 pandemic saw job losses for many people, and an upsurge in enrolments for vocational training as people seek to upskill or retrain for new industries.
For some, returning to study is a daunting prospect, especially if they found school difficult or have struggled during a challenging year.
In 2021, NorthTec is offering a range of Foundation Skills courses which can help build confidence, as well as teaching employment-related skills.
Level 2 Foundation programmes give students a chance to gain specialist skills while also upskilling in literacy, numeracy and other employment-related abilities.
There are Foundation programmes specialising in business, construction, trades painting and sport, in various locations through Northland Te Tai Tokerau.
NorthTec also offers higher-level Foundation Skills programmes called Study and Career Preparation, at Level 3 or 4. These help learners get ready for employment or can lead on to a degree in nursing, social work or conservation.
Jon Smith, NorthTec’s Acting Chief Executive, said: “We know that many people in our region have been affected by Covid-19 this year. Some industries and individuals have been hit badly – and NorthTec is a key player, with a range of regional agencies, in the economic recovery process.
“There are many study options available at NorthTec, which can help people get back on their feet and back on track with their career, or into a new career. Our Foundation programmes are specifically designed to help people gain both specialist and general skills.”
The following Foundation Skills programmes are available in 2021:
- New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills (L2) (Business) – Kaitaia
- New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills (L2) (Construction) – Kaitaia / Kerikeri / Whangārei
- New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills (L2) (Painting) – Kaitaia / Whangārei
- New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills (L2) (Sport) – Whangārei
- New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (L3) – Kaitaia / Kerikeri / Whangārei
- New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (L4) – Kaitaia / Kerikeri / Whangārei