Source: Auckland Council
Sixteen grants have been allocated to community groups as part of Manurewa Local Board’s local grant round.
Board chair Joseph Allan says the pressure organisations are under in the post-COVID-19 environment is obvious, with many requests coming from outside the area.
“We had to make some tough decisions and we have opted to prioritise local initiatives delivered by local organisations,” he says.
“We also prioritised applications that had more limited opportunities for funding elsewhere.
“Our grant to the Totara Park Mountain Bike Club reflects a long partnership with a group that has committed thousands of hours to improving a park that the entire community, not just mountain bikers, can benefit from.”
The grant will be used for track maintenance costs, tools, materials, contract labour hire and a digger and other equipment.
Another group to benefit was the Render Gathering, for costs associated with its ‘hangouts’.
The events feature development initiatives that help young people build confidence and leadership skills, and which give seniors a place to socialise to prevent isolation and share inter-generational life skills.
Family empowering workshops give families tools for budgeting and parenting, and young men’s/women’s groups provide workplace pathways.
- Southern Districts Chinese Assoc, multicultural event costs
- Blue Light Ventures, life skills camp for two young people
- Dance Therapy NZ, venue hire and “Arts 4 Us South” workshops
- Southside Drama, script copying and binding for workshops
- Youthline, contribution to annual costs
- Communicare, programmes for older people
- South Auckland Pickleball, netting at courts
- New Life Community Trust, food for homeless and needy
- Rawiri Residents’ Assoc, Reclaim waste programme
- Everybody is a Treasure Trust, “Click Happy” school programme
- Te Waka Uea Playgroup, venue hire and resources
- YMCA North, workshop, uniform, camping, and graduation costs
- Manurewa Croquet Club, lawn mowing
- Mafutaga Samoa, training apparel and speakers for Zumba class.