What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of the non-exclusive listing agreement with Olympus New Zealand Limited (“Olympus”) for the supply of obstetrics and gynaecology, and endomechanical and electrosurgical medical devices.
In summary this will result in:
- 114 of Olympus’ products being listed in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 November 2020 under a national agreement that all DHBs may purchase under (“Agreement”); and
- DHBs being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of obstetrics and gynaecology, and endomechanical and electrosurgical medical devices.
Any changes to the original proposal?
No changes were made to the agreement following consultation feedback.
Who we think will be most interested
- DHB clinical staff in a range of clinical settings including:
- Obstetricians and gynaecologists
- Procurement and supply chain personnel
- Delivery suite staff
- Clinical/Biomedical engineers
- Perioperative staff
- Central sterile services personnel
- Surgical, gynaecology and general ward staff
- Suppliers and wholesalers
Details about this decision
In 2018 PHARMAC issued requests for proposals (RFPs) for:
The RFPs requested proposals for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
After completing the RFP evaluation processes, and consulting on the provisional agreement reached with Olympus, PHARMAC has decided to list Olympus’ medical devices, in the categories listed above, in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 November 2020.
DHBs can continue to choose which obstetrics and gynaecology, and endomechanical and electrosurgical medical devices they purchase, including those from other suppliers. DHBs that purchase obstetrics and gynaecology, and endomechanical and electrosurgical medical devices from Olympus must do so under the terms and conditions, including pricing, in the Agreement, from 1 November 2020.
The Agreement includes terms and conditions for training and education to be provided by Olympus on the appropriate use of its products, which is to be provided at times as agreed with individual DHBs.
Our response to what you told us
We appreciate the time people took to respond to this consultation.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback and our responses to the feedback are set out below:
No technical or resource impacts are expected
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.
Last updated: 1 October 2020