Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

Source: MIL-OSI Submissions

New Zealand now: Housing at July 2020 – report

15 September 2020

This page draws together information from different Stats NZ releases, providing key facts about housing. It is intended as an easy reference for voters, media, and members of parliament.

We plan to release a series of topic-based papers in the run up to the general election on Saturday, 17 October 2020 (see Related pages at right). The series of papers will be a simple place to find information on topics that get discussed at election times. At Stats NZ we tend to get a few common requests and questions so these pages will help provide a consistent answer to those with impartial data.

Housing at a glance
Read Building consents issued: July 2020.

  • The number of new homes consented in July 2020 was 3,391.
  • In the year ended July 2020, the actual number of new dwellings consented was 37,585, up 6.0 percent from the July 2019 year.
  • The overall record for new homes consented is still 40,025 in the February 1974 year. This was when the population of New Zealand was around 3 million, compared with about 5 million in 2020.
  • About 7.6 new homes per 1,000 residents were consented in the year ended June 2020.
  • Homes are getting smaller, around 20 percent smaller than a decade ago.
  • Rents rose 3.3 percent in the year to July 2020, based on the index for the stock measure of rental property prices. (As a result of COVID-19, a rent freeze is in place till 25 September 2020.)
  • Tenure of households: at the time of the 2018 Census, 51.3 percent of occupied private homes were owned or partly owned, with another 13.3 percent held in a family trust. In total, 64.6 percent of occupied private homes were owned and the remaining 35.5 were not owned by their resident household.
  • New Zealand had 1.85 million occupied and unoccupied dwellings at the time of the 2018 Census.

To read this report on our website, visit:

New Zealand now: Housing at July 2020

MIL OSI