Source: Post Primary Teachers Association (PPTA)
Introduction and purpose
At the April 2020 Executive meeting of the PPTA, the establishment of a Professional Issues Taskforce was approved to respond to proposals by NZQA, the Ministry and the tertiary qualification boards in relation to teaching, learning and, in particular, assessment in response to disrupted learning programmes as a result of the COVID-19 crisis.
While the Taskforce will focus on the high-level conversations and actions, the aim of the focus group is to be the litmus test for some of the issues and concerns as they arise from across the PPTA membership. As well as feeding information to the C-19 Taskforce, the C-19TLA focus group may also be able to respond to specific queries from the taskforce.
The focus group will be invited to share their experiences about their teaching and assessment practices in 2020 since prior to the Alert level 4 lockdown and continuing through to the end of 2020.
Expression of interest to be part of the C-19 TLA focus group
• Please complete this short survey by 12 noon, Friday 5th June to indicate your interest in taking part.
What happens next?
From the expression of interest survey, 20-30 PPTA members will be selected by the President and General Secretary to take part, ensuring that the group represents as broad a range of members (experience, subjects taught) and schools (location, decile, size) possible. In order to keep the group size manageable, not all those who express an interest will necessarily be selected to take part.
Participants will be invited to take part in all/some the following:
- Initial 30-minute Zoom meeting – overview of project and initial questions, negotiating of further aspects
- 5 minute questionnaire once every 2-3 weeks
- Follow-up phone emails/phone calls
- Zoom meetings once a month
Participation will be voluntary at all times.
You are under no obligation to accept this invitation. If you decide to participate, you have the right to:
- decline to answer any particular question
- withdraw from the focus group at any time
- provide information on the understanding that your name, school will not be used unless you give permission
- be given access to a summary of the findings when it is concluded
Notes will be taken during Zoom meetings and individual phone calls by members of the Advisory Team.
Information gathered will be used to inform the PPTA C-19 Taskforce and any actions that might provide support for PPTA members. All participant contributions will be anonymized in any publications and documentation.
You may be invited to share your individual story more widely for other PPTA publications such as PPTA News.
Thank you for your willingness to share your experiences. If you have any queries about this project please contact:
Dr. Adele Scott
021 851 348 or
firstname.lastname@example.org , Subject line: C-19 TLA Focus group