Source: New Zealand Transport Agency
With the long weekend ahead and winter fast approaching, Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency is urging road users to plan ahead and drive to the conditions for a safe journey.
This is the last long weekend for a few months, so many people may take the opportunity to head out of Wellington for a break or to visit family and friends,” Regional Transport Systems Manager Mark Owen says.
“We want everyone to get to their destinations safely so we’re encouraging everyone to plan ahead, allow extra time for their journeys and drive to the road and weather conditions.
“Over the next few months, the weather will make driving a bit more challenging. Road closures are common during winter due to heavy rain, ice and snowfall, particularly on Remutaka Hill and Desert Road.
“Pre-planning is essential for safe travel. Road users should check traffic updates and weather conditions before heading off, and consider if you really need to travel if the weather is particularly bad.
“Ensure your vehicle is safe and equipped for winter journeys – check that you have a spare tyre, and that your lights, brakes and wind-wipers are all working, and clean your windscreen inside and out.”
Winter driving tips:
- Check travel and weather conditions before heading off and on breaks throughout your journey – use www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz(external link) or call 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49).
- Allow extra time
- Ensure your vehicle is safe for winter driving
- Drive to the road and weather conditions
- Slow down and be prepared for unexpected hazards
- Allow greater following distance between you and the vehicle ahead
- Make sure your cell phone is well charged, check car charger also
- Have blankets, snacks, bottles of water ready in case of emergency or a breakdown.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey. Keep up to date with: