Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

Source: New Zealand Transport Agency

Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency has approved over $730,000 from the Government’s Innovating Streets for People pilot fund to support  Wellington City Council projects  which will make physical distancing easier and safer for cyclists and pedestrians, while public transport capacity is reduced.

The Innovating Streets fund will cover 90% of the costs for:

  • a wider pedestrian route, linking Wellington Station to Lambton Quay
  • pop-up cycle lanes to enable mode choice and take pressure off the public transport and vehicle network
  • a shared walking and cycling path between Shelly Bay and Scorching Bay to provide space for recreation and exercise and spread the load from Oriental Bay and other busy recreation locations.

Launched in 2019, the Innovating Streets for People programme aims to remove the barriers to street innovations and raise the capability of New Zealand communities to deliver projects aimed at making streets more people-friendly. 

The $7 million-plus Innovating Streets fund supports ‘tactical urbanism’ projects such as pilots, pop-ups and interim treatments that will help New Zealand transition to safer and more liveable towns and cities.

Waka Kotahi Urban Mobility Programme Manager Kathryn King says the fund has been made available for Covid-19 transport responses, supporting councils to adapt their streets so more people can walk and cycle to help manage travel demand while public transport capacity is reduced.

“Innovating Streets is fundamentally about reconsidering how we allocate street space, and this is particularly important right now as we need more space for people to physically distance, and have alternative transport options while public transport capacity is down as well as creating vibrant, attractive places to support our businesses.

“While these responses will help us through recovery, they also move us towards our longer-term objectives to create safer, healthier and more vibrant towns and cities.”

The pilot fund has a 90% funding assistance rate (FAR) which is the proportion of the approved costs that will be paid from the National Land Transport Fund, with councils making up the other 10%.

Successful applicants will be supported to deliver their tactical urbanism projects through capability building activity, including participation in a community of practice.

Find out more about the fund

For more information on the Wellington City Council initiatives see:

https://wellington.govt.nz/your-council/news/2020/05/comments-sought-on-temporary-street-changes-to-keep-people-spaced-out(external link)

https://wellington.govt.nz/have-your-say/public-inputs/consultations/open/covid-19-response-projects—proposed-traffic-resolutions(external link)

Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey. Keep up to date with:

MIL OSI