Source: Post Primary Teachers Association (PPTA)
Does the response to Covid-19 come under my role as a Health and Safety Rep or Committee member?
Yes, Covid-19 is a Health and Safety issue.
Am I entitled to take part in my school’s pandemic planning?
Yes, you should be involved in discussions that your Board of Trustees and senior management team are having at the moment, and with any decisions that they are making.
What do I do if my Board of Trustees and senior management team have not invited me to these discussions, or will not let me be involved?
Ask to be included – you are legally entitled to be there. You can use this template letter, above explaining your entitlement
What else should I be doing as a Health and Safety rep or committee member?
You should be gathering the opinions and concerns of the teachers at your school to make sure these are represented as the decisions are being made by the employers. How you do this is up to you, but you may wish to collaborate with your branch chair to hold a branch meeting.
It is also important to promote the guidelines given by the Ministry of Health and make sure that your school management is providing everything needed to do follow these guidelines, e.g. adequate soap, hand towels etc
• Cough or sneeze into your elbow or by covering your mouth and nose with tissues.
• Put used tissues in the bin or a bag immediately.
• Wash your hands with soap and water often (for at least 20 seconds).
• Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
• Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
• Avoid personal contact, such as kissing, sharing cups or food with sick people.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects, such as doorknobs.
• Stay home if you feel unwell.
Where do I get reliable, up-to-date information?
The government has a dedicated website for information about responding to Covid-19:
Unite against Covid-19 (covid19.govt.nz)
The PPTA will also be regularly updating the Covid-19 page of its website:
Covid-19 and your rights at work (ppta.org.nz)
Who do I contact?
If you need extra information or support, please contact:
Doug Clark, PPTA Health and Safety Representative: email@example.com
Or your local field officer
Contact your local PPTA field office (ppta.org.nz)