Source: Sports New Zealand
Novel Coronavirus / COVID-19 Update
4 March 2020
Novel Coronavirus / COVID-19 has reached New Zealand although the likelihood of a widespread outbreak remains low-moderate.
It is recommended that all individuals and organisations in the play, active recreation and sport sector continue to follow the advice of the Ministry of Health who are able to share the latest information on a range of topics from travel to holding public events and mass gatherings.
Advice to date indicates individuals should be vigilant with personal hygiene and avoid people with cold or flu symptoms. This includes:
- covering coughs and sneezes with disposable tissues or clothing, or coughing/sneezing into your elbow
- disposing of used tissues appropriately in a bin
- washing hands with soap and water and drying them thoroughly or using hand sanitiser.
Sport, recreation and play often involves being together in groups or at events. At this stage, the Ministry of Health is not recommending any changed approach to holding events. However if you are an event organiser, you should focus on:
- reminding the public and event workers not to attend if they are feeling unwell
- reminding the public and event workers not to attend if they have been in or transited through hotspots
- ensuring your emergency management plan is up to date
- briefing your event staff on how to practice good hygiene and making it easy for staff and attendees to practice good hygiene.
There is a dedicated Healthline COVID-19 number for those needing further advice and information – 0800 358 5453.
High Performance Sport NZ is also providing information specifically in regards to athletes or related staff travelling overseas to events on its web site.