Source: Media Outreach
Surveying Excellence in Development and Conservation
HONG KONG, CHINA – Media OutReach – 16 January 2020 – The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (“HKIS”) is launching the first HKIS Best Development and Conservation Award 2020 (“BDCA”). This year’s theme, “Surveying Excellence in Development and Conservation” addresses BDCA as a pioneering award that recognises exceptional achievements and excellence of construction projects related to both development and conservation.
Sr Winnie SHIU, President of the HKIS, said, “It is the first time ever for the HKIS to host an award in the name of the Institute, I am privileged to be the one bringing together the six divisions and paying tribute to the surveyors who have made substantial contributions in sustainable development and conservation.”
Not only will the BDCA support the Sustainable Development Goals 2015 set by the United Nations, but also promotes the professional image of surveyors from the various divisions; recognises their untiring efforts contributed to development and conservation; and raises the public awareness of conservation in development projects.
The Award is designed to address the contribution of surveyors from various backgrounds throughout the development cycle, BDCA’s five award categories are named after each stage: (1) Planning; (2) Pre-construction; (3) Construction; (4) Sales & Leasing; and (5) Post-occupation.
Sr Alexander Lam, HKIS BDCA 2020 Organising Committee Chairman, added, “The Award focuses on the use and application of surveying knowledge and/or professional expertise across the disciplines in the respective phases within the project development cycle, of which brought about economic, environmental and social sustainability.”
16 January 2020
Award Briefing Session & Application Opens
29 April 2020
Stage 1: First Screening
13 – 14 June 2020
Stage 2: Site Visit
19 June 2020
3 – 4 July 2020
Stage 3: Finalists Presentation to Jury Panel
Award Categories and Eligibility
The Best Development and Conservation Award (BDCA) 2020 is open to all types of development projects, including residential, commercial, and “Government, Institution or Community” (GIC) projects.
Project inception & project planning
Land administration input and activities
Town planning approvals, statutory approvals and engagement with local public bodies
Resources and financial arrangement
Procurement strategies and considerations
Innovation and technology adoption
Value and cost management
Sales & Leasing
Marketing concept development
Sales and/or leasing strategies
Innovation and technology adaptation
Cultural and environmental conservation
* Eligible projects should possess either Occupation Permits (OP or Phased OP), Acknowledgement letters on Form BA14 or Confirmation letter of Substantial Completion between 1 January 2010 and 31 December 2019 (both dates inclusive) as stated in the submission requirements.
Awards are available in 4 tiers, ranked at follow:
Best Development and Conservation Award(s)
Best Development and Conservation Award will be presented to project(s) with outstanding OVERALL quality that is (are) judged to be the BEST among all the Grand Award Winners.
There will be a Grand Award Winner(s) for each award category. This is the highest recognition to projects at the category level.
There will be recognition of merit(s) for each award category.
There will be recognition of finalist(s) for each award category that has passed the first screening, site visits and that has been presented at the Finalist Presentation to Jury Panel#.
* BDCA 2020 Organising Committee reserves the right not to bestow an award if the Jury Panel deems that no nomination is worth receiving that particular award. The decision of the Jury Panel shall be final.
# Finalist qualification will be usurped if the project team is unable to present at the Finalist Presentation to Jury Panel.
Jury Panel Members
HKIS BDCA 2020 is supported by prominent figures in the industry and from the academic field as jurors:
Jury Panel Convenor
Sr Prof Bay WONG
Past President, The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors Chairman, Project Management Committee, The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors
Sr Hak CHAN, BBS Past President, The Hong Kong Institute of SurveyorsFormer Deputy Director of Lands (Survey & Mapping), Lands Department, HKSARGFounding Board Member, Smart City Consortium
Sr Prof K W CHAU Past President, The Hong Kong Institute of SurveyorsChair Professor, Department of Real Estate and Construction, The University of Hong Kong
Mrs Sylvia LAM, JP Director of Architectural Services, Architectural Services Department, HKSARG
Mr Raymond LEE, JPDirector of Planning, Planning Department, HKSARG
Mr Douglas SO Cheung Tak, JP Chairman, Antiquities Advisory Board
Mr YU Tak-cheung, JP Director of Buildings, Buildings Department, HKSARG
* Listed in alphabetical order by last name
Details on the award categories, the latest jury panel, and further information can be found at http://www.hkisbdca.com.hk/.
Please download the high resolution photo HERE.
1. Sr Winnie SHIU, President of the HKIS (Middle), Sr Alexander Lam, HKIS BDCA 2020 Organising Committee Chairman (Left) and Sr Prof Bay WONG, Jury Panel Convenor (Right) explained the Award in details.
2. President of the HKIS and the Award Jury Panel witnessed the official launch of the Award: (From right to left) Sr Prof Bay WONG, Sr Alexander Lam, Mrs Sylvia LAM, JP, Sr Winnie SHIU, Sr Hak CHAN, BBS, Mr YU Tak-cheung, JP and Mr Douglas SO Cheung Tak, JP
3. “The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors Best Development and Conservation Award 2020” briefing session drew over 40 participants to attend, including developers, construction professionals, surveyors and the media.
– Published and distributed with permission of Media-Outreach.com.