Post sponsored by

Source: New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade – Safe Travel

New Zealanders in the United Kingdom

The United Kingdom (UK) is preparing to exit the European Union (EU). We provide the following information for New Zealanders living in or travelling to the UK.

New Zealand citizens who plan to continue living in the UK after it leaves the EU can use the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website tool to seek guidance on visa status and rights to stay.  Further information can be found through the UK’s Department for Exiting the European Union: The UK Government has also published a range of technical notices, which provide advice on how various areas would be handled in the event of a “no deal” outcome.  We encourage you to read these notices, which can be found here.

Key points about Brexit that New Zealanders travelling to or living in the UK might like to know are:

Travelling to and between the UK and the EU
Your ability to travel should not be impacted by Brexit, however it is possible that a “no deal” Brexit may result in longer queues at UK and EU ports of entry. If you have concerns about upcoming travel, you should refer to your airline for details relating to flight information.

New Zealanders who are travelling or living overseas should always have a comprehensive travel insurance policy in place. You should check with your travel insurance provider to make sure that your travel insurance policy will not be affected by Brexit.   

It is possible that some arrangements for EU travel will change after Brexit.  This is particularly relevant if you are a New Zealander who lives in the UK.  Before you travel, you should check if there have been any changes to (for example) your right to medical care in Europe, driver licence requirements within Europe and whether your licence will be sufficient, and your mobile phone bill and roaming charges in Europe.  Further information can be found here:

Living and working in the UK
The UK’s exit from the EU should not affect the visa arrangements, New Zealand has with the UK. The Youth Mobility Scheme visa will still be available to New Zealand citizens.

If you have specific visa enquiries, or you are concerned about an application for a visa to the UK being delayed, you should refer to the UK authorities.

The New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade cannot provide definitive advice on the UK’s requirements for entry to or exit from the UK.  For this reason we recommend that travellers consult in advance with their travel agent, airline or with the UK authorities directly. 

If you have business interests in the UK, there is material available on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and New Zealand Trade and Enterprise websites below:

 Advice relating to the EU
For further specific advice relating to implications for issues such as travel, residency, education and employment in the EU, please see the European Commission’s Preparedness Notices:

Associated Advisories:

Share this page: