Source: MIL-OSI Submissions
The Treasury has released documents relating to Budget 2019 in response to, and in anticipation of, requests for Budget-related information from the public. The documents released here are among the most frequently requested under the Official Information Act.
Information withheld from documents
Some information in this document has been withheld under one or more of the sections of the Official Information Act 1982.
Key to sections of the Official Information Act 1982 under which information has been withheld.
Good reasons for withholding the information exist, as the making available of that information would be likely to:
-  6(a) to prevent prejudice to the security or defence of New Zealand or the international relations of the government
-  6(c) to prevent prejudice to the maintenance of the law, including the prevention, investigation, and detection of offences, and the right to a fair trial
-  6(e)(vi) damage seriously the economy of New Zealand by disclosing prematurely decisions to change or continue government economic or financial policies relating to the entering into of overseas trade agreements.
Withholding the information is necessary for the following reasons and is not outweighed by other considerations, which make it desirable in the public interest to make it available:
-  9(2)(b)(ii) to protect the commercial position of the person who supplied the information or who is the subject of the information
-  9(2)(f)(ii) to maintain the current constitutional conventions protecting collective and individual ministerial responsibility
-  9(2)(f)(iv) to maintain the current constitutional conventions protecting the confidentiality of advice tendered by ministers and officials
-  9(2)(g)(i) to maintain the effective conduct of public affairs through the free and frank expression of opinions
-  9(2)(i) to enable the Crown to carry out commercial activities without disadvantages or prejudice
-  9(2)(j) to enable the Crown to negotiate without disadvantage or prejudice
-  9(2)(k) to prevent the disclosure of official information for improper gain or improper advantage
Where information has been withheld, a numbered reference to the applicable section of the Official Information Act has been made, as listed above. For example, a  appearing where information has been withheld in a release document refers to section 6(e)(iv).
In preparing this Information Release, the Treasury has considered the public interest considerations in section 9(1) and section 18 of the Official Information Act.