Source: Auckland Council
Santa is set to sleigh through Howick again after the local board granted the Howick Children’s Charitable Trust $30,000 for the village’s annual Christmas parade.
The money will help meet the overall costs, including traffic management, a website, set-up and pack-down costs, advertising, management and entertainment.
Pakuranga Rotary was also awarded $30,000, towards the cost of a community fireworks display and festival, while the New Hope Community Church Trust was allocated $25,000 towards delivering its Christmas event.
All three Community Grants budget allocations were made on the understanding the funding would allow the events to go forward.
And more than $30,000 has been awarded to more than 20 community groups under the board’s second quick response round for the year, which was heavily oversubscribed.
Board member Adele White says funding is often an issue for many of the groups working to help others in the community.
- Auckland Seniors, $1000 towards Moon Festival
- Auckland Bone Carving, $1757 for workshops
- Harlequin Music Theatre, $2000 for 14 performances
- Howick Art Group, $1500 for an exhibition
- Howick Business Association, $425 for a gazebo
- Botany Downs Probus, $1000 towards venue hire
- Pakuranga Counselling Centre, $3000 for counselling
- South East Senior Citizens, $500 for venue hire
- Plunket, $705 for wooden toys
- River of Life Church, $600 family Halloween, $1075 holiday programme
- Sowers Trust, $2000 youth mentoring
- Highland Park Community Creche, $3000 rental costs
- Howick Inner Wheel $1000 resources for Stand Children Services
- Depot Community Trust, $2693 for equipment
- Independent Living Services, $1000 to coaching and co-ordinator
- Howick Golf Club, $1500 for native plants
- Auckland Ice Figure Skating Club, $2000 rink hire for Auckland club champs
- Howick Softball Club, $1000 for line-marking machine
- Pakuranga Athletic Club, $2616 for junior track and field day
- Botany and Flat Bush Ethnic Association, $1000 for exercise group
- Cession Community Trust, $1000 for community events
- St Marks Catholic School, $2000 towards a basketball hoop.