Loading...
You are here:  Home  >  24-7  >  Current Article

Why have SH58 safety upgrades been delayed?

By   /  June 12, 2019  /  Comments Off on Why have SH58 safety upgrades been delayed?

    Print       Email

Source: National Party

The news that safety upgrades on ‘Wellington’s most dangerous road’ have been delayed indefinitely is incredibly disappointing and flies in the face of the Government’s alleged commitment to road safety, says MP for Hutt South Chris Bishop.

“The construction of two roundabouts on State Highway 58 have been delayed, despite funding previously been approved.

“But NZTA says SH58 is Wellington’s most dangerous road.

“These upgrades to SH58 were meant to be in place by the time Transmission Gully opens, but that is now in doubt.

“This afternoon I questioned Road Safety Minister Julie Anne Genter about the delayed safety upgrades and she was unable give a straight answer about why these important projects have been delayed.

“The AA, the Road Safety Forum, and many Wellington residents are very concerned about the safety upgrade delays. The Government says road safety is one of their highest priorities but will not put money where their mouth is.

“The delayed safety upgrades comes on the back of news that the new Melling Interchange has been delayed until 2028 or later, Petone to Grenada has been effectively cancelled, and the Cross Valley Link is on the never-never.

“The Government is failing Wellington and the Hutt Valley.”

MIL OSI

    Print       Email

You might also like...

Quality Building Award 2020 Now Open for Nomination

Read More →