Source: Environmental Protection Authority
12 July 2018
An explosive and destructive West Auckland house fire caused by a child who threw something into an open fire place shows how crucial it is for parents to keep watch over children around fire, and to keep aerosols out of reach.
Spokesperson, General Manager Doug Jones, says aerosols and other common household items can explode if exposed to flame, with devastating results.
The key point to remember is to keep aerosols, fuel, poisons, and chemicals out of reach and sight of children.
This includes things like LPG bottles, butane canisters, fly spray, hair spray, deodorants and other aerosol products,” says Doug.
We encourage all parents to visit the EPA website for tips and guidance to help keep you and your family safe from hazardous substances.
Learn more about aerosol safety at home.