You are here:  Home  >  24/7  >  Current Article

Kaiaua & Thames coast storm

By   /  January 11, 2018  /  Comments Off on Kaiaua & Thames coast storm

    Print       Email

Source: Earthquake Commission – EQC – Press Release/Statement:

Headline: Kaiaua & Thames coast storm

In early January a storm and tidal surges caused major flooding and damage to homes and properties in the Kaiaua and Thames coastal area.

If you have flood or landslip damage to the land around your home, or landslip damage to your home, land or contents, you can lodge a claim with EQC.

You have three months from the date of the damage to lodge your claim.

You can make a claim by completing the form here or call us on 0800 326 243.

Who is covered by EQC?

To make a claim with EQC for natural disaster damage, customers must have a home or contents fire insurance policy with a private insurance company when the natural disaster damage occurred. 

Customers with home insurance will also receive EQC cover for certain land damage.

What EQC covers

EQC cover depends on how the natural disaster damage occurred.

Storms and floods

EQC covers storm and flood damage to residential land only, within certain limits outlined below.

Home and contents damage is covered by private insurance, according to the terms of an individual’s policy. Talk to your private insurer.

Landslip damage

EQC covers landslip damage to land, home and contents, within certain limits:

  • Land cover is outlined below.
  • Your home is generally insured up to a maximum of $100,000 +GST per event, on a replacement value basis.
  • Your contents are generally insured up to a maximum of $20,000 +GST per event, on a replacement basis.

What land EQC covers

EQC coverage of land is limited to land that is within your property boundary – and includes:

  • land under your home and outbuildings (eg, shed or garage)
  • land within eight metres of your home and outbuildings
  • land under or supporting your main access way, up to 60 metres from your home (not driveway surfacing).

EQC also provides some cover for:

  • bridges and culverts within the above areas
  • some retaining walls that are necessary to support or protect your home, outbuildings or insured land
  • the removal of debris, such as silt or fallen trees, from the insured land (not replacement of items on the land, such as trees, plants, lawn and driveways).

EQC insurance has more information.

How much can EQC pay out for land?

EQC land cover is usually capped at the dollar value of the area of land insured by EQC that has been lost or damaged (or will imminently be) as a direct result of the natural disaster.

EQC usually pays the lesser of either:

  • the cost to repair the damaged EQC-insured land
  • the value of the damaged EQC-insured land.

It’s also important to note that bridges, culverts, and retaining walls that support the home or insured land are covered for indemnity value. This means the valuation takes into account their age and state of repair.

The land cover page has more information and an interactive diagram.

How to make a claim

While it may speed up the process if you make a claim quickly, you have up to three months from the date of the natural disaster to lodge a claim.

You can make a claim online by visiting our website or over the phone by calling 0800 DAMAGE (0800 326 243).

What happens next explains the claims process.              

EQC staff will always carry photo identification and usually phone first if they need to visit your property.


As is the case for private insurance policies, you will need to contribute towards the amount payable for the EQC claim. This contribution is called the excess and is deducted when your claim is settled.

For residential buildings, EQC will deduct an excess of 1%. The minimum excess is $200 multiplied by the number of homes in the building (that have been notified to the private insurance company).

For contents, EQC will deduct an excess of $200.

For land, EQC will deduct an excess of 10%. However, the minimum excess is $500 multiplied by the number of homes (that have been notified to the private insurance company) in the residential building which is situated on the land. The maximum excess is $5,000.

Making urgent repairs

Anyone taking action to make their home safe, sanitary, secure and weathertight, through temporary or urgent repairs, should record the work done, take photographs where appropriate, and keep a copy of any bills paid.

Reimbursement for temporary or urgent repairs is subject to EQC acceptance of a valid claim. Talk to EQC before taking action.

Information for farmers and rural property owners

The following information is for people with damage to their farms or rural properties.

EQC cover for land:

  • Land cover is for the main access way, and for land under and up to eight metres around residential buildings.
  • Cover is also provided for retaining walls that are supporting or protecting a residential building or the insured area of land, and are within 60 metres of the building.
  • Land cover is limited to the land within the same land holding as the residential building, which can include land that the dwelling owner has an easement interest in (eg. a right of way).
  • Bridges and culverts are covered only where they are within insured land areas. The whole bridge must be within the land holding (or covered by an easement) to be covered by EQC.

EQC cover for long access ways:

  • The main access way to each residential building, but only the part that is within 60 metres of that building (as the crow flies) and within the land holding on which the building is lawfully situated.
  • Cover is only for the land forming the access way.

EQC doesn’t cover:

  • Any parts of the access way that are on council land or over neighbouring properties, unless an easement is in place. This is because these parts are not within the same land holding as the residential building.
  • The sealed surface of the access way, which may be covered under private insurance.

EQC cover for rural structures:

  • Residential buildings and structures only, meaning the dwelling, associated services (water supply, drainage, sewer­age, gas, electrical and telephone services and structures appurtenant to these services), and building and struc­tures that are used for the purposes of the household of the dwelling occupiers.
  • Some buildings or structures may have both a household use and a commercial or other use. These will be covered by EQC, where they are used for the purposes of the household of the dwelling occupiers (in other words, where the household use is material).

EQC doesn’t cover:

  • Other buildings and structures, including those used for commercial operations (e.g. a milking shed). They may be covered under private insurance.

Guide for farmers and rural property owners has more information.

See our Factsheet on January 2018 flooding (PDF) for an easily printed version of this information.

– –


    Print       Email